Trained, experienced Gerontologist and Health Educator with excellent organizing, training, communication and administrative skills. Work experience in Hawaii, California and Washington in the areas of aging, guardianship, conservatorship, hospital and community case management, retirement planning and health promotion.
Consultant, Crossroads Guardianship, Anacortes, Washington
- Consult, prepare and present training materials on guardianship, aging, and retirement issues for local seminars and workshops in my private consulting business.
Professional Guardian & Care Manager, Crossroads Guardianship, Anacortes, Washington
- Retired from private practice incorporating all previous experience to serve elderly clients in the four northwest counties of Washington State. Recognized as National Master Guardian Emeritus status in 2010 by the Center for Guardianship Certification. Certified as a Professional Guardian in Washington State 2000-2010.
Director, Protective Services Program-Jewish Family Service, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Ten years of increasingly responsible positions as case manager, coordinator and director of a specialized department in a 142-year-old social work agency.
- Conservator for over 200 non-profit corporate clients.
- Supervised a 14-member staff in all phases of conservatorship.
- Program grew from two to 14 employees over a ten year period.
- Marketed program through materials, newsletters and speeches.
- Fiduciary responsibility for $20,000,000 in client assets, growth from $9,000,000 in five years.
- Consolidated two separate conservatorship programs and created uniform budget and procedures for protective services throughout countywide agency.
- Initiated computerization for client accounts, streamlined record keeping and collection of fees and designed a database for client files and statistics.
Coordinator, Geriatric Health Services - Straub Clinic and Hospital, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Developed and implemented a comprehensive geriatric assessment program for elderly patients and community members in a clinic and hospital setting.
- Developed training materials for businesses and individuals to plan for and enhance retirement.
Research Associate-University of Hawaii, School of Public Health, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Organized and promoted special School of Public Health lectures.
Administrator/Director-King's Daughters' Foundation, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Directed a private foundation with financial aid to elderly residents of Hawaii.
- Designed and implemented procedures to screen, evaluate and review applicants for a grant budget of $500,000 per year.
- Coordinated with public and private agencies statewide to identify gaps and problems in existing financial aid programs.
Health Education Specialist-Hawaii Medical Services Association, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Medical Claims Reviewer-evaluated medical records for appropriate level of care and insurance coverage.
- Planned and executed in-house and community health education projects, including articles, participation in health fairs and other promotional activities.
M.P.H. (Master of Public Health)
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Field experience with the Seattle Nursing Home Ombudsman
- Gerontology Traineeship Award
B.S. (Bachelor of Science in Education)
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude with 4.0 grade average
Washington State University, Pullman, Washington
Loyola Marymount University, Bioethics Survey Course, 1995
Certified Professional Guardian Mandatory Training, November 28 & 29, 2000
Local and national conferences on guardianship, conservatorship and bioethics, 50-80 hours annually.
National Guardianship Association, 1989-
- Board Member, 1995-2003
- Treasurer, 1997-1998, Vice President, 1999
- NGA Approved Educator, 1997-2006
Center for Guardianship Certification (formerly National Guardianship Foundation)
- Certified as a Registered Guardian, 1996
- Certified as a Charter Master Guardian, 1999
- Awarded the Master Guardian Star Achievement Award in 2003
- Granted National Master Guardian Emeritus status, 2010
- Trustee, 2004-2011; Secretary, 2007; President, 2008; Past-President, 2009 & 2010
- Master Guardian Committee Chair, 2006; Certification Committee Chair, 2007
National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers, 1995-2002
- Advanced Professional Status
Washington Association of Professional Guardians, 1997-2004
- Secretary, 1998-2000
Elder Service Providers, Whatcom County, WA, 1997-
- Conference Co-chair, 2001, Conference Chair 2002, Secretary 2002-2004
Island Hospital-Anacortes, WA, Clinical Ethics Committee, 1998-
- Co-chair, 2000-2001, 2010-2011
Professional Fiduciary Association of California, 1996
- Ethics Chair, 1996
California State Bar Standing Committee on Legal Problems of the Aging, 1992-1996
- Co-Chair, 1995-1996
Professional Conservators of Southern California, 1988-1995
- President, 1990-1991, Treasurer, 1992-1993
Jewish Homes for the Aging, Biomedical Ethics Committee, 1988-1989
Guardian Ad Litem, Hawaii Protection and Advocacy Agency, 1983-1986